Thursday, July 10, 2008

owl cookie jar



As mentioned on another posting, I like owls. Although I hear their hooting occasionally from the sparsely wooded area surrounding my neighborhood, I have never seen (other than at the zoo) a real owl in the "wild."

I found this McCoy brown owl cookie jar at Stephenson's auction house in Southampton, PA, and won the bid at $35.00. This piece dates from the 70s and was manufactured in several shades...have come across it in pictures in a lighter beige/brown.
I've read that it's sometimes referred to as the "patriotic owl" because one wing is positioned in a pledge-of-allegiance pose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also love owls. Have many of all sizes,shapes,made of a varitety of materials, all over my home. I found a cookie jar just like the one you pictured in a flea market in Ky. while visiting my sister. I also paid $35.00 for him.