Friday, March 7, 2008

sifter shopping



My vintage flour sifters--brand name "Androck"--date to the 1950s, early 50s, I believe.

I found the one with the diamond and stylized star design at a barn sale in Blue Bell, Pa. I paid a dollar for a box of mildly rusty kitchen items--this sifter was my favorite item in the box and it had minimal rust! Still works (has 3 screens) but I just display it as the inner screens are hard to clean thoroughly.
The companion sifter with the daisies is by the same manufacturer. It has similar construction except the handle is paint over wood instead of metal. I bought this one in a rather interesting way, at an auction house called Stephenson's in Southampton, PA. I had lost a bid on a box lot that had a number of interesting boxes of household items (such as this sifter) to a man who was determinedly bidding on the same lot. Later, when he claimed his boxes and was packing up, I approached him and asked about buying the sifter. We settled on $3--he didn't seem very interested in it compared to other items in his lot!

No comments: