Saturday, March 29, 2008

bigger than a breadbox?


This breadbox, manufactured by Ransburg, has a shabby chic quality. The tole-painted metalware box, with its stylized flowers and green/orange colors, seems to be from the early 70s, if I had to pin a date on it.

Found it in a kitchen display of furniture at an antiques store off Route 309, north of Quakertown, PA. I think it was there for display only, not for sale because there was no tag on. However, the sales clerk and I came to agreement on ten dollars when I asked. In my house, I use it to hold various boxes of tea and packets of hot chocolate, but not for bread.

Growing up, I remember my mom had a metal breadbox. In it, I seem to recall that she often stored a loaf of soft Wonderbread and, occasionally, a bag of rolls from the grocery.

Generally, I think that the popularity of breadboxes is a thing of the past. Does anybody ask anymore if something "is bigger than a breadbox?" I know that if I kept bread in a breadbox, I'd forget about it until a week or two later. My bread is in the freezer, where I sometimes forget about it, but at least it's not moldy!

No comments: