Sunday, April 6, 2008

tick tock



Although not specifically for a kitchen, I want to display a picture of my retro clock, a $35 e-bay acquistion several years ago. The clock was manufactured in the 1950s by United Clock Corp. in Brooklyn.

My grandparents had this model by their TV, on a table in their Morristown, NJ duplex, where they lived in the 1950s and 60s. I used to admire it when I was a child, enjoying when my grandfather would flick the back switch that made the little fireplace logs glow red. A single nightlight-size red bulb gives that charming effect. Growing up in the same duplex house, I was constantly visiting my grandparents and spent much time in the room with the clock!


One day in 2003, a random memory of me in my grandparents' house and the clock on the table popped into my head. I googled the words "fireplace clock" and was excited when several appeared up on e-bay in a matter of seconds. I have no idea of what became of the specific one from Morristown, but this one, down to the smallest details, is an exact match.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I think my grandparents had this same clock. I remember the glowing fire.