Thursday, April 24, 2008

the real McCoy



Every kitchen needs at least one vintage cookie jar, I think.

I became interested in cookie jars about 5 years ago when I went on the 127 yard sale and saw various McCoy and Hull cookie jars on roadside tables throughout Tennessee and Kentucky. Lots of fakes though, some more obvious then others. I was hesitant to buy, however, my interest was sparked.

After returning, this McCoy black "cookstove" cookie jar caught my eye at Stephenson’s Auction in Southampton, PA. Someone was bidding against me when the bidding started at $10, but when it went up to $35, it was mine.

This piece, from what I have read, dates from the early 60s. Its gold trim and other painted designs are delicate and prone to flaking, but this particular one is in good shape. I’ve also seen pictures of this same McCoy cookie jar in a matte white finish, with the same gold trim.

And no, I don't keep cookies in it...use it for decorative display only! My cookies are wrapped up, in the pantry.

No comments: