Tuesday, February 26, 2008

collectible thoughts



"I don't get it," my younger brother said, when I asked him to check out my blog at a recent get-together. "No offense, " but I'm not sure anyone would want to read about this Pyrex stuff," he continued, clicking through my entries quickly.

"No offense taken," I said, although I'm not sure that was true. "I guess it's hard for a nonPyrex enthusiast to relate to my kitchen collectibles."

So what's the appeal in all this old and inexpensive "stuff?" Well, I like the way the dishes look or I wouldn't have acquired them. I also enjoy spending time at Saturday morning yard sales and drafty thrift shops, and I actually use what I get.

Mostly, there's the nostalgia factor, which is a very strong appeal, though harder to describe. It's a spooky feeling, for sure, to have an old bowl of my mother's bring back a long-ago moment that I hadn't thought of in years. Definitely spooky... but in a good, comfortable way.

For me, the Pyrex... the dishes from my family, all have a story. And the items from yard sales and thrift shops also have their stories... I just don't know them, but that's ok.

1 comment:

HippieLawyer said...

I think your blog is great. I came upon it while looking for a blog dedicated to 1950s anodized aluminum kitchen wares. If you know of one, please post on my blog. Thanks!