Tuesday, February 5, 2008

my first Pyrex


In late December 1976, in a modest off-campus apartment by Rutgers College, I received my first Pyrex.

The setting was a small bridal shower given by some college friends before my January wedding. I remember swiftly tearing away the paper, tossing the ribbon aside, and opening the box… full of anticipation…and then lifting out the set of 3 mixing bowls. (They were the Homestead pattern.) At the time, I wasn’t impressed. “Oh, gee, thanks...what nice bowls,” I vaguely remember saying to the giver.

Little did I anticipate how much use these mixing bowls would get as they became the starting point of so many successful (and some not so successful) recipes.
Unfortunately, I dropped the littlest bowl of the group in the early 80s, and replaced it with the blue one, which is a pattern called Colonial Mist.

1 comment:

pyrexmaniac said...

I had a Pyrex bowl like this a few years back. One night in a drunken stupor, I went to the fridge to get some salad. Needless to say I dropped the bowl and it shattered. Now I am down 1 bowl and 1 wife. Guess which I miss more.