Wednesday, February 13, 2008

refrigerator dish reflections



According to the “literature,” Pyrex refrigerator dishes came onto the kitchen scene in the late 1940s and, like other Pyrex, can be used for refrigerator, oven, and freezer. Pictured is a small one in the “butterprint” pattern that I found at a yard sale. These came in various sizes, and this particular one would be the smallest in a set. Supposedly, earlier refrigerator dishes had lids with finer, thinner glass ribs, so the one pictured is not a real early one according to that "lid criteria"...I would guess that it dates to the 1960s.

Originally intended for storage of leftovers, I think that once Tupperware and other plasticware with more airtight seals came to market, these started to go the way of the dinosaur. A couple of reasons: they just don’t keep food for very long because the glass lid does not seal, but simply sits on top. Another reason: you can’t readily see what leftovers you have. I realized this “phenomenon” the couple of times I stored a small bit of leftovers in this particular dish--it just kept getting pushed further and further back into the dark corners of my refrigerator because I couldn’t easily see the contents.

OK, negatives aside, I do like my little refrigerator dish for nostalgia and “cuteness” factors alone and would definitely purchase others at the right price. I also think it would be a great little serving piece on the table for dip, salsa, etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Mom used this piece in a different color to put bacon grease in. We used to cook everything in bacon grease, so saving it was essential. It's long gone--my mom is the best at getting rid of stuff. She also gave my cousin our original Barbie and Midge to play with in the sandbox! Well lately my teenage son has been on a bacon cooking kick, so I've been thinking about what to put the grease in.

Anonymous said...

my mom has this exact one. we saw one at an antique store the other day and should have nabbed it!