Tuesday, February 19, 2008

the colonial category


Although brown Pyrex isn’t my choice color and patriotic eagles aren’t my decorating style, I'm actually liking these two pieces more than when first acquired. The pattern, introduced in the early 1960s, is aptly called “Early American.” An interest in American colonial symbols/themes for decorating became trendy in the
1960s, continuing into the 70s.

A Memory Lane flashback:
My parents' family room in the mid1960s featured a sofa with rust-colored cushions displaying a pattern of eagles, muskets, and little "scrolls," which I think were supposed to represent the Declaration of Independence. Tacky looking, maybe, but it was comfortable for TV viewing!

When I got married in the late 70s, the pseudo-colonial look was still popular, further sparked by the 1976 bicentennial. Many of my young-married contemporaries seemed to be buying dark, heavy pine furniture and oval braided rugs.

Back to my "Early American" Pyrex. The oval flat divided dish is very useful for heating leftovers and the price was right at New Life Thrift in Glenside, PA…about 2 dollars a couple of years ago. The 1 1/2 quart oval casserole was an e-bay purchase by my husband. He had broken the lid for a similar-size casserole when pulling it out of the cabinet, and he bought this one to get me a "replacement" lid. At the time, it was actually less expensive to purchase the complete casserole rather than the lid alone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if this relates directly to the colonial theme, but I wanted to post that I saw a beautiful set of matching pyrex mixing bowls in their original box on 36th Street in Baltimore, at the antique store at 36th and Elm. They were a harvest gold color with a wheat pattern. I passed because the $30 pricetag was more than I wanted to spend, but maybe a reader out there can snag them. Happy pyrex shopping!

Anonymous said...

Dear anonymous,

Sounds like you came across the Autunm Harvest pattern, circa early 80s, the time of big hair and shoulder pads!

Not the most popular pattern, but if someone wants a full set of vintage mixing bowls in a box, it sounds quite reasonable.