Sunday, January 27, 2008

Pyrex pamphlet


This brochure (about 4 inches high) came in a piece of boxed Pyrex that I got at the New Life thrift store in Glenside, PA. I believe it dates from the 1960s although there is no actual date in the publishing info that I could find. This pamphlet gives cooking tips with Pyrex along with pointers on cleaning it. Of interest, it instructs, "Anything you can't clean easily by hand (or in the dishwasher) should be soaked in warm soda water--3 tbs. to 1 qt. water--to remove most baked or browned food stains."
I was intrigued by the mention of the dishwasher. First of all, this helps date the guide to the later 60s, I think, as I don't believe dishwashers were common earlier.
Also, I do not put my Pyrex in the dishwasher because the colors will fade.
My only exception is when I first get a piece at a garage sale or thrift store...then I will put it in the dishwasher once to really clean it, but after that it's strictly washing by hand only!

1 comment:

linda t said...

Hey there!
"pyrex girl" just told me about your blog after she had found mine. I am so excited to check out all your treasures!
I have been collecting Pyrex for over 25 years and LOVE it! I will only buy it at thrift stores and yard sales... no Ebay, that's too easy. Cuz it's all bout the thrill of the hunt!
Check out some of my Pyrex-
http://lindathompson.blogspot.com/2006/09/my-pyrex-collection.html