Thursday, January 24, 2008

Snack time


Yep, these containers are Pyrex. A fond Pyrex memory flashback: my husband recalls his mother had these canisters years ago (well, not these actual ones, but you know what I mean!)

My story: it was a quiet spring morning in 2007, and I was checking out some yard sales, happily content with my to-go coffee. Suddenly, from the street, I spotted “The Cracker Barrel” on a table in a nearby yard (recognized it from my Barbara Mauzy Pyrex Guide). Made a beeline for it and was pleasantly surprised by the 75 cent price (sticker shock, but in a good way). For the rest of the summer and fall, I kept a vigilant lookout for its companion “ The Cookie Jar” at yard sales and thrift shops. No luck.

In December, I received "The Cookie Jar" from my husband, as a gift. He had tracked it down on E-bay and ordered it. Because it was a present, I have no idea what he spent, but I can safely guess that it was significantly more than 75 cents.

Tip: The painted gold and white decoration on the surface of these is delicate and prone to flaking off: (I washed them very gently with mild dish soap.)

No comments: